[FFmpeg-trac] #1642(avformat:new): -f segment: automagically generate #EXTM3U tags to -segment_list generated playlists

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Aug 15 07:43:45 CEST 2012

#1642: -f segment: automagically generate #EXTM3U tags to -segment_list generated
playlists
             Reporter:  kelexel      |                     Type:
  HLS                                |  master
             Blocking:               |               Blocked By:
Analyzed by developer:  0            |  Reproduced by developer:  0
 Summary of the bug:
 It is more a feature request actually.
 When using -f segment and -segment_list, the produced playlist is not
 HTTPLiveStreaming friendly.
 The request is to add a way to templat'ify the playlists generated with
 -sgement_list, or to at least give a third "-segment_list_type extm3u"  to
 comply with HLS

 When using something like:

 {{{
 ffmpeg .... -f segment -segment_time 5 -segment_list_type flat
 -segment_list stream.m3u8 -y -segment_format mpegts  stream%05d.ts
 }}}

 Produces a playlist like:

 {{{
 test00001.ts
 test00002.ts
 }}}

 We currently can produce playlists of the type -segment_list_type flat or
 -segment_list_type ext.
 Flat corresponds to the HLS requirements BUT, we miss the valuable #EXTM3
 tags on the top of the file, like

 {{{
 #EXTM3U
 #EXT-X-STREAM-INF:
 #EXT-X-TARGETDURATION:5
 #EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE:1

 test00001.ts
 test00002.ts
 }}}

 The above will play fine on iOS (tested via apache & nginx)
 (libavformat/hls.c seems to have a few other tags listed..
 https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/libavformat/hls.c#L741-746 )

 Other per-file-tags might be useful too, but as you probably guessed, I'm
 no expert, I leave you wise guys figure that out.

 Best regards

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/1642>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>