[FFmpeg-trac] #1642(avformat:reopened): -f segment: automagically generate #EXTM3U tags to -segment_list generated playlists

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Sat Sep 1 18:10:46 CEST 2012

#1642: -f segment: automagically generate #EXTM3U tags to -segment_list generated
playlists
             Reporter:  kelexel      |                    Owner:
                 Type:  enhancement  |                   Status:  reopened
             Blocking:               |

Comment (by saste):

 Replying to [comment:15 kelexel]:
 > I see, in essence m3u8(-specs) and HLS are mutually exclusive.
 >
 > Why not keep the current m3u8 -segment_list_type you already created,
 and add another -segment_list_type m3u8_hls or just "hls" ?

 > So whatever your planned use for -segment_list_time, you could have
 goods from both worlds ?

 > Also, regarding 3., in some cases of HLS you will want
 -segment_list_size 0, why ? because HLS allows seek, so in case we are
 using -segment_list_size 0, no segments will be removed from the list,
 just incremented, allowing an HLS-friendly client to seek anywhere in the
 timeline up-to "now".. So it might still be useful to keep this option in
 HLS case .. (although you are correct, if the -segment_list_size is 0, we
 only need once EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE 1, since we don't regenerate the
 playlist) ..

 > Best regards.

 Added an option -segment_list_live which should address the issue.

 Would you mind to comment on ffmpeg-devel:
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/150549

 I'll attach the patches to test, which I posted to ffmpeg-devel, for your
 convenience.

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/1642#comment:18>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>