[FFmpeg-trac] #1721(FFplay:new): ffplay doesn't correctly plays files with audio timestamps not starting from 0

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Fri Sep 7 13:22:15 CEST 2012

#1721: ffplay doesn't correctly plays files with audio timestamps not starting
from 0
               Reporter:  saste      |                  Owner:
                   Type:  defect     |                 Status:  new
                Version:             |               Keywords:  ffplay
  unspecified                        |  audio
             Blocked By:             |               Blocking:
Reproduced by developer:  0          |  Analyzed by developer:  0
 ffplay can't correctly plays file, where the audio timestamps doesn't
 start from 0.

 A test file can be created with the command:
 {{{
 ffmpeg -f lavfi -i "flite=text='To be or not to be, that is the
 question',asetpts=PTS+5/TB [out0]; testsrc=n=2[out1]" -ar 16000 -acodec
 libmp3lame -y out.mp4
 }}}

 ffplay starts to play the video from the point where the audio starts,
 which doesn't seem the correct behavior. Compare for example with how vlc
 plays the file.

 I don't know which is the best place to address the issue. We could add an
 audio pad filter, which fills the gap (but that would introduce another
 dependency on ffplay), or add the logic (possibly configurable) to handle
 that within ffplay.

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/1721>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>