[FFmpeg-trac] #3226(avcodec:new): SEGFAULT in libavcodec in ff_emu_edge_vfix3_mmx.body_loop when playing video in vlc.

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Mon Dec 16 13:08:48 CET 2013

#3226: SEGFAULT in libavcodec in ff_emu_edge_vfix3_mmx.body_loop when playing
video in vlc.
-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------
             Reporter:  michalsrb  |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect     |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:             |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0          |
-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------

Comment (by michalsrb):

 > I played your sample on Opensuse 12.3 with vlc ~ten times and I do not
 experience a crash, What cpu does your system use?

 cat /proc/cpuinfo

 {{{
 processor       : 0
 vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
 cpu family      : 6
 model           : 58
 model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz
 stepping        : 9
 microcode       : 0x17
 cpu MHz         : 1200.000
 cache size      : 4096 KB
 physical id     : 0
 siblings        : 4
 core id         : 0
 cpu cores       : 2
 apicid          : 0
 initial apicid  : 0
 fpu             : yes
 fpu_exception   : yes
 cpuid level     : 13
 wp              : yes
 flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
 cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
 rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology
 nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx
 smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt
 tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt
 pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
 bogomips        : 5787.01
 clflush size    : 64
 cache_alignment : 64
 power management:
 }}}

 (repeated 4 times)

 > This would normally indicate a hardware problem. (Did you run memtest86
 recently?)

 I've let it run now and all tests passed ok.

 > Please test the following command line:
 > {{{$ vlc --ffmpeg-threads=1 sample-file.avi}}}

 Still crashes - I was able to reproduce it once, after 4 tries. The
 backtrace looked the same as before. I tried to reproduce it again, and
 second time it took something like 30 tries, the backtrace was still the
 same.

 > You can try the following:
 > {{{$ ffmpeg -i sample-file.avi -f null -}}}

 It was running in loop many times and didn't crash even once. It was in
 parallel with the vlc tests, so CPU was under the same stress.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3226#comment:2>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>