[FFmpeg-trac] #2099(avformat:closed): FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though format supports it

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Tue Feb 12 15:13:20 CET 2013

#2099: FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though
format supports it
             Reporter:  JohnGalt     |                    Owner:
                 Type:  enhancement  |                   Status:  closed
             Blocking:               |               Blocked By:
Analyzed by developer:  0            |  Reproduced by developer:  0

Comment (by JohnGalt):

 Again: Use the sample linked to above, use handbreak as instructed and
 create the file. Then you'll also see what they're doing so that you can
 do it exactly the same.

 TrueHD and DTS-MA must be bitstreamed. They cannot be decoded on PCs
 (legally) into PCM or any other format. It's the same as SACD required
 either analog out, or bitstreaming to play 5.1 audio from them back in the
 day. They don't want their tracks decrypted by anything other than closed
 boxes. That's why LAV has check boxes for bitstreaming them and NOTHING
 else will actually decode them to 7.1 sound at full definition and play
 back over analog speakers hooked into a sound card.

 In any event: I've demonstrated that Handbreak will create m4v files with
 TrueHD and DTS-MA, I've given you instructions on how to do it, and I've
 instructed you on how you can play them back properly which is everything
 you asked for.

 (you can use Windows Media Center to also play them back bitstream if you
 install LAV and check off the bitstreaming flags for the formats and hook
 into HDMI with a receiver that supports it)

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2099#comment:47>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>