[FFmpeg-trac] #2099(avformat:new): FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though format supports it

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Jan 2 19:32:53 CET 2013

#2099: FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though
format supports it
-------------------------------------+------------------------------------
             Reporter:  JohnGalt     |                    Owner:
                 Type:  enhancement  |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0            |
-------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Comment (by JohnGalt):

 All codecs listed on that page are supported right now with m4v.

 Dolby is in the process of getting TrueHD certified. DTS Master and DTS
 are already certified as is clearly outlined when you click on the details
 for each.

 I think that there is HUGE value in FFMPEG supporting this given that
 m4v/mp4 is the format that is supported by essentially all players/set-top
 boxes. (mkv is not supported by Roku, ios or Windows 8 and is randomly
 supported on android) Thus being able to write these tracks into the files
 is required before anyone will enable bitstreaming these tracks out of the
 files.

 Given how many products use ffmpeg for encoding files, until you guys
 support this, we won't get files that work, and thus we won't get players
 that will stream the audio tracks out of the files properly.

 Thus it's chicken or the egg, and you're the chicken that has to lay the
 egg first.

 Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should just be a matter of writting the
 standard version of these tracks out to the file just like ac3 or aac is
 written now. (i.e. a copy of the track should "just work")

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2099#comment:7>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>