[FFmpeg-trac] #2099(avformat:new): FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though format supports it

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Jan 2 21:04:26 CET 2013

#2099: FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though
format supports it
-------------------------------------+------------------------------------
             Reporter:  JohnGalt     |                    Owner:
                 Type:  enhancement  |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0            |
-------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Comment (by JohnGalt):

 They don't support it at all.  But they also won't play an .mp4 file with
 multiple audio tracks.

 The point is that .m4v explicitly allows multiple audio tracks on apple
 devices. the apple devices will play .m4v files and find the best track
 available that it can play. (I just tested this with an .m4v that I forced
 with the -f mp4 that has DTS-Master Audio in it and ac3. It played the ac3
 just fine on both an apple tv and an Ipad 2.)

 So the point is still the same, -f mp4 should actually fail from what I
 understand (correct me if I'm wrong) with multiple audio tracks because
 .mp4 doesn't support multiple audio tracks. It should only work with .m4v
 and it shouldn't throw the error. Nor should it through the error for -f
 ipod and with that setting and multiple audio tracks it should require the
 .m4v file extension. (if you care)

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2099#comment:16>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>