[FFmpeg-trac] #2782(avformat:closed): aac - Malformed AAC bitstream - incorrectly fixed with -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc' option

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Tue Jul 16 11:26:49 CEST 2013

#2782: aac - Malformed AAC bitstream - incorrectly fixed with -bsf:a
aac_adtstoasc' option
------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
             Reporter:  feelart     |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect      |                   Status:  closed
             Blocking:              |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0           |
------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Changes (by cehoyos):

 * status:  open => closed
 * resolution:   => worksforme

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:4 feelart]:

 I will close this ticket since I don't see much indication that there is
 anything that should (or can) be fixed in FFmpeg, feel free to reopen if
 you can add information that indicates I am wrong.

 > Same kind of fatal error both with
 > {{{
 > ffmpeg -i alice.aac -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -vol 312 test.aac
 > or
 > ffmpeg -y -i alice.aac -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -af volume=1.5 test.aac
 > }}}

 bitstreamfilters (-bsf) only work with -codec copy so these command lines
 make no sense.

 > {{{
 > decode_band_types: Input buffer exhausted before END element found
 > Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing
 input
 > [aac @ 0000000002536ea0] channel element 2.0 is not allocated
 > Error while decoding stream #0:0: Error number -1 occurred
 > }}}

 I assume this is what you mean with ''fatal errors'':
 The messages are shown because - as you already indicated in comment:1 -
 the sample was cut in the middle of the file, since it wasn't cut on a
 frame boundary ffmpeg inevitably will fail on the last, incomplete frame.
 There is nothing ''fatal'' about these messages though, ffmpeg finishes
 transcoding as expected or do I miss something?

 > So far as I understand, it's a bug for ffmpeg.

 I am not sure I understand: Did you test the output file with any
 professional or proprietary software or a stream analyzer? Did any of them
 indicate an invalid output file?

 > I have other samples, which throw other error.

 It is (obviously) not always a bug if FFmpeg throws an error. If you think
 it is a bug that FFmpeg throws an error, please open a ticket on this bug
 tracker, if you are not sure, please post a question on the ffmpeg-user
 mailing list.

 > P.S. Work in progress against annoying important de-synch bugs such as
 ticket #2400?

 Patch welcome but note that I suspect it is trivial to workaround that
 issue, just copy audio into an adts container.

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2782#comment:5>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>