[FFmpeg-trac] #2828(avformat:new): HLS segment MPEGTS continuity counter is being incorrectly set to 0 on each segment

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Sat Aug 23 19:10:42 CEST 2014

#2828: HLS segment MPEGTS continuity counter is being incorrectly set to 0 on each
segment
-------------------------------------+------------------------------------
             Reporter:  dlevinson5   |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0            |
-------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Comment (by lancey):

 Well, as I said these counters need to be moved to some structure related
 to the output, which is kept across segments, so there are copies per
 output.

 You can reproduce the issue with the following command:

 ffmpeg -i test.ts -codec copy -flags global_header -map 0 -f segment
 -segment_time 10 -segment_list_size 6 -segment_wrap 20 -segment_list
 playlist.m3u8 pl%03d.ts

 This will output one ts file per 10 sec. Inspecting each ts file you'll
 see CC counters for each PID start from 0, instead of the appropriate
 number which the last PID packet had within the previous segment. I've
 personally not encountered a scenario where this breaks playout on any
 device/player, but some people do. Also, playling the result with VLC
 gives warnings as well (but no playout disturbances occur). Per HLS specs,
 counters should indeed be kept across segments, so we should fix this for
 sure.

 Also, it would be even better if we keep the incoming CCs in case we are
 copying the stream.

 If you need example files, both input and output, let me know.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2828#comment:21>