[FFmpeg-trac] #4251(avformat:new): libavformat mis-identifies Quicktime file with 32-bit PCM audio and version 1 STSD table

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Mon Jan 12 20:10:31 CET 2015

#4251: libavformat mis-identifies Quicktime file with 32-bit PCM audio and version
1 STSD table
-----------------------------------+--------------------------------------
             Reporter:  Richard42  |                     Type:  defect
             Blocking:             |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0          |
-----------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Apple's Quicktime format supports 3 different versions of the Sample Table
 Description header for audio tracks.  For uncompressed audio, Version 0
 only supports 8 and 16-bit sample depths.  Version 1 supports higher
 fidelity (24-bit and 32-bit per sample), but in a very confusing way.

 I ran across an MOV file which contains 32-bit PCM audio, but libavformat
 (and ffmpeg, and VLC, and our software which uses libav) mis-identifies it
 as 16-bit audio.

 I created a patch which fixes this defect in libavformat by handling this
 very narrow MOV parsing case.  I will attach a sample MOV file which fails
 to parse properly with the current libav code, and my proposed patch which
 correctly handles this file.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4251>