[FFmpeg-trac] #4238(build system:new): AVFoundation indev is allowed on OS X 10.7 but uses CoreGraphics framework which is 10.8 only

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Tue Jan 13 12:58:42 CET 2015

#4238: AVFoundation indev is allowed on OS X 10.7 but uses CoreGraphics framework
which is 10.8 only
--------------------------------+----------------------------------------
             Reporter:  nieder  |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect  |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:          |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0       |
--------------------------------+----------------------------------------

Comment (by nieder):

 Sorry for the delay.  The 10.7 machine where the issue was found is not
 mine and I had to wait for that person to get back to me with test
 results.

 If the AVFoundation indev linkage is changed from CoreGraphics to
 ApplicationServices on both 10.7 and 10.9 (my box), then the build
 succeeds.  However, I don't know the long term implications of using the
 older ApplicationServices framework if Apple decides to deprecate and
 remove whatever symbols FFmpeg is using from it (and perhaps has moved to
 CoreGraphics?).

 Off the top of my head, a possible fix might be to use "check_lib2
 AVFoundation/AVFoundation.h <SOME FUNCTION> -Wl,-framework,CoreGraphics",
 but I get the feeling that checking for header A and library B will not
 work (that snippet is untested).

 By the way, I also tried to not link to either CoreGraphics and
 ApplicationServices and added "-undefined error" to error out if any
 symbols are undefined. The build completed (on 10.9) successfully.  The
 question then becomes if CoreGraphics is needed at all?  I don't use the
 AVFoundation indev, so I don't know how to test this build.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4238#comment:2>