[FFmpeg-trac] #4255(undetermined:new): [avi @ 03098a20] H.264 bitstream malformed, no startcode found, use the video bitstream filter 'h264_mp4toannexb'

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Tue Jan 13 13:20:54 CET 2015

#4255: [avi @ 03098a20] H.264 bitstream malformed, no startcode found, use the
video bitstream filter 'h264_mp4toannexb'
             Reporter:  csosog       |                     Type:  defect
 From a US DVD, using Handbrake 0.9.9 32 bits, I created the test1.mkv file
 (1 video track x264 Main at L3.0 decomb CFR RF=20, 1 audio track AAC, nothing
 else).

 I tried to change the container to .avi with
 ffmpeg -y -hide_banner -i test1.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy test2.avi
 (using ffmpeg version N-66860-g5552594 on Windows XP SP3) and received the
 following message :
 [avi @ 03098a20] H.264 bitstream malformed, no startcode found, use the
 video bitstream filter 'h264_mp4toannexb' to fix it ('-bsf:v
 h264_mp4toannexb' option with ffmpeg)
 av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid data found when processing input

 My first idea was that the x264 track was too complex for the .avi
 container but I tried to change the container using Avidemux 2.6.8
 (32-bit) ... and I succeeded !!!

 I can visualise the (with Avidemux converted) test3.avi file with VLC and,
 using Mediainfo, the description of the 2 tracks is the same in test1.mkv
 and test3.avi (not a surprise, the run of was too fast for a codec
 conversion; check with Videoinspector is also OK).

 My knowledge of English (and of ffmpeg) is too weak to understand the
 error message but, because it says that I have to use a filter, it implies
 a 'codec run' that is IMHO not necessary.

 Help is welcome.

 André

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4255>