[FFmpeg-trac] #4613(ffmpeg:new): FFMPEG produces OGV videos whose duration can't be estimated by Totem, VLC and Dragon Player

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Sat Jun 13 19:57:54 CEST 2015

#4613: FFMPEG produces OGV videos whose duration can't be estimated by Totem, VLC
and Dragon Player
----------------------------------+----------------------------------
             Reporter:  gouessej  |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect    |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:            |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0         |
----------------------------------+----------------------------------

Comment (by gouessej):

 Replying to [comment:24 gjdfgh]:
 > WebM is different from Matroska (WebM only supports VP8 and VP9.)
 >
 > Matroska itself does support exactly the same codecs as OGV, and more.
 This includes Theora and Vorbis (the codecs you apparently want to use).
 The CPU usage for decoding will be exactly the same. Matroska isn't slower
 to read than OGV either.

 > You are probably under the mistaken impression that Matroska is
 inherently slower than OGV, because you've only looked at Matroska files
 using H264. H264 is indeed slower to decode than Theora, but again, you
 can use Theora in Matroska.

 > (By the way, while I'm not entirely sure, I bet using mpeg2 would
 possibly be faster to decode than Theora, because FFmpeg likely has more
 optimizations for such an ubiquitous codec as mpeg. But I'm just guessing
 and don't have the knowledge or numbers to back this up.)

 Matroska isn't supported by the html5 video tag. I don't use MP4 because
 I'm against software patents and I really think that webm encourages
 planned obsolescence.

 Videopress uses ogv under the hood and the working ogv video I gave as an
 example was produced by Videopress. It is possible to use ogv
 successfully.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4613#comment:25>