[FFmpeg-trac] #4820(avformat:open): Converting a H264 MXF to a H264 MOV with "-vcodec copy" results in mov unreadable by QuickTime

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Sep 2 11:02:50 CEST 2015

#4820: Converting a H264 MXF to a H264 MOV with "-vcodec copy" results in mov
unreadable by QuickTime
             Reporter:  Arnaud       |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  open
             Blocking:               |

Comment (by Arnaud):

 "I have to add that I find it rude to use open source software without
 providing the local patches to the developers (no matter if the patches
 will be used or not)."

 You better watch your language.
 I just said I provided the video to ease the investigation. I didn't said
 I won't help (actually the opposite, supposing "Let me know if you need
 anything else" means anything to you).

 I just thought it would be easier for you to reproduce it on your
 computer, as I guess you have all you need to do so. I worked on lot of
 open source projects, and I always appreciate when users can send me buggy
 content to help to reproduce the problem, instead of just log files.

 Regarding the "local patches", what are you talking about? I said I found
 a workaround, not a patch to ffmpeg, and explained the workaround. As this
 is application code, IMO it might be difficult to read, so I preferred to
 explain how to workaround the problem, instead of providing that might be
 difficult to read. But I can provide the code for sure *if you ask for it*

 Actually, I'm not sure what you are expecting, but anyway, here is a
 snippet of my workaround (nothing complicated)

 {{{
 AVFormatContext *ic = NULL;
 fmpeg_av_open_input_file(&ic, videoInputSource, NULL, 0);
 // Begin workaround: remove extradata
 AVCodecContext* icodec = ic->streams[i]->codec;
 if (icodec)
 {
   av_free(icodec->extradata);
   icodec->extradata = NULL;
   icodec->extradata_size = 0;
 }
 // End workaround
 ffmpeg_av_find_stream_info(ic)
 }}}

 I've heard that ffmpeg's people have a bad reputation, of being rude and,
 unfortunately, given my experience with this first ticket opened, I tend
 to believe it's true.
 I just wanted to help, not to heard that I'm *rude* because I didn't
 magically guess what you want.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4820#comment:5>