[FFmpeg-trac] #4804(undetermined:new): "Buffer queue overflow, dropping." when splitting input into thumbnail and overlay filters.

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Mon Dec 5 22:36:52 EET 2016

#4804: "Buffer queue overflow, dropping." when splitting input into thumbnail and
overlay filters.
             Reporter:  starfires    |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |               Blocked By:
Analyzed by developer:  0            |  Reproduced by developer:  0

Comment (by starfires):

 I am not sure I understand what you said, but I tried the following two
 command lines and found that order matters.

     ffmpeg.exe -i Hangover3.mp4 -vf "thumbnail[outThumb1]" -vframes 1
 "H3-thumb.jpeg" -vf "movie=Qbert.png,[in]overlay" -strict -2
 "H3-avout.mp4"

 does not fix the problem.  I am still getting the same error messages
 {{{
 Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
 [Parsed_overlay_1 @ 004C2AE0] [framesync @ 040FB1E8] Buffer queue
 overflow, dropping.
     Last message repeated 33 times
 [Parsed_thumbnail_0 @ 004C26E0] frame id #72 (pts_time=3.000000) selected
 from a set of 100 images
 [Parsed_overlay_1 @ 004C2AE0] [framesync @ 040FB1E8] Buffer queue
 overflow, dropping.
 [Parsed_thumbnail_0 @ 004C26E0] frame id #48 (pts_time=6.166667) selected
 from a set of 100 images
 [Parsed_thumbnail_0 @ 004C26E0] frame id #15 (pts_time=8.958333) selected
 from a set of 100 images
 }}}
 and the output file still has the 1-second freeze, but the output is not
 binary identical to the output of the original command.

 However,

     ffmpeg.exe -i Hangover3.mp4 -vf "movie=Qbert.png,[in]overlay" -strict
 -2 "H3-avout.mp4" -vf "thumbnail[outThumb1]" -vframes 1 "H3-thumb.jpeg"

 appears to fix it.  No buffer queue overflows, and the output video looks
 good.
 {{{
 Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
 [Parsed_thumbnail_0 @ 01A02EE0] frame id #72 (pts_time=3.000000) selected
 from a set of 100 images
 frame=  156 fps=0.0 q=28.0 q=3.9 size=     288kB time=00:00:06.64 bitrate=
 354.7kbits/s dup=1 drop=0
 [Parsed_thumbnail_0 @ 01A02EE0] frame id #48 (pts_time=6.166667) selected
 from a set of 100 images
 [Parsed_thumbnail_0 @ 01A02EE0] frame id #15 (pts_time=8.958333) selected
 from a set of 100 images
 }}}

 (I tried this with ffmpeg version 2.6.2)

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4804#comment:8>