[FFmpeg-trac] #5176(avcodec:new): avcodec_decode_video2 requiring input buffer to be larger than actual read bytes

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Thu Jan 21 12:13:40 CET 2016

#5176: avcodec_decode_video2 requiring input buffer to be larger than actual read
bytes
             Reporter:  hbos         |                    Owner:
                 Type:  enhancement  |                   Status:  new
  AV_INPUT_BUFFER_PADDING_SIZE       |
  input buffer bitstream reader 32   |
  64 bits overread                   |
             Blocking:               |

Comment (by heleppkes):

 Of course this is a performance issue, if we wouldn't have padding we
 would have to check every time if we're at the end of the buffer, which is
 exactly what the required padding is designed to avoid.

 Don't expect any changes, this is a clear design decision.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5176#comment:1>