[FFmpeg-trac] Request: Dolby Vision Decoding Support

Andrew Sun adsun701 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 22:33:51 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I have been using FFmpeg for a while now. One thing I noticed is the lack
of a Dolby Vision decoder in libavcodec. Dolby Vision is a 12-bit HDR dual
layer codec that has a 10-bit base layer of either HEVC or AVC, and then an
enhancement layer that supplies an extra 2-bits and dynamic HDR metadata.
The result can be played on Dolby Vision compatible TVs.

Would it be possible to implement a decoder for Dolby Vision in libavcodec
and register it using the AVCodec struct? I think it would be nice to see
that, as I know that FFmpeg can decode HDR10, which is another HDR video
format that uses HEVC (except that it is 10-bit, not 12.). Eventually we
will see Ultra-HD Blu-ray discs with Dolby Vision encoded video, so it
would be really useful for a decoder to be implemented.

Best regards,

Andrew Sun