[FFmpeg-trac] #5713(ffmpeg:new): While remuxing a MKV's filled-zero bytes can trim, the timestamp still remain

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Fri Jul 15 11:48:26 EEST 2016

#5713: While remuxing a MKV's filled-zero bytes can trim, the timestamp still
remain
-----------------------------------+---------------------------------------
             Reporter:  PureOcean  |                     Type:  defect
             Blocking:             |  Reproduced by developer:  1
Analyzed by developer:  0          |
-----------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 '''Summary of the bug''':

 Media Player applications and video-stream-servers stores on user's disk
 full-size of the video files when non-start playback. It filled many
 "'''00'''" hex codes. Overwrites "00" codes that downloading video and
 audio data all the more.

 Pot Player, etc or Torrent-Stream applications can plays any a video on
 URL. I jumping ''randomly scenes'' in when the video playing. (Or only
 play it wanted scene). Then I terimante the application. Cache (video)
 file still remain. Of course, its need fix.

 '''FFmpeg''' can trim empty/'''fill-zero bytes''' (padding? chunks?) from
 the video which it contain many "00" hex codes. So, the video-size will be
 reduced as streaming data (without re-encoding). But the output video's
 '''timestamp''' still remain.

 While FFmpeg can't fix timestamp, '''Meteorite'''
 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/meteorite/) can fix, even though it
 don't update since 2011.

 I contacted to '''Carl Eugen Hoyos'''. He is reproduced and confirm the
 issue:

 http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2016-July/032793.html

 How to reproduce:

 I'm know, the reproducing very hard (specified). Please don't trouble
 yourself with it.

 I already uploaded the sample. You may download from:
 https://mega.nz/#!htBQUDJD!Pr-TkZN5GmyCe99k1RfBkVh7ahp-9npjX74HE36ktfo

 Why I uploaed as ZIP? Because the orginal size is '''642 MB''' but as I
 was saying, its  fulled many "00" codes. Therefore, it compressed down to
 37 MB which this is actual size that streaming/downloading.

 Command-line usage:

 ffmpeg -i Fill_Zero_Bytes_Can_Trim_But_Timestamp_still_remain.mkv -c copy
 properly.mkv

 ffmpeg version N-80999-gf41e37b

 P.S.: '''I'm sorry''', my bad English grammar.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5713>