[FFmpeg-trac] #6915(avformat:new): DASH audio segments duration doesn't match exactly with video segments duration.

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Thu Dec 21 16:48:58 EET 2017

#6915: DASH audio segments duration doesn't match exactly with video segments
duration.
------------------------------------+------------------------------------
             Reporter:  beloko      |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect      |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:              |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0           |
------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Comment (by stevenliu):

 Replying to [comment:21 j_karthic]:
 > Replying to [comment:19 stevenliu]:
 > > Replying to [comment:18 stevenliu]:
 > > > Replying to [comment:17 j_karthic]:
 '''nearest integer''' as per the spec, part of the problem is resolved.
 Right now we are '''ceiling to the upper integer''' which is not according
 to HLS specifications.

 Media Segment in the Playlist
 MUST be less than or equal
 Playlist file.  Its format

 REQUIRED.

 should rounded to 4 instead of 5.

 an issue in hlsenc, it was rejected by Steven. See thread
 http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-September/215630.html more
 details. During that time, I was not able to provide a concrete example
 with mediastreamvalidator like @beloko has done now. But I thought the
 spec was very clear about it without any room for confusion.

 these results, please let me know. Maybe I will send a new patch which
 fixes the target duration in dashenc, and we can take forward our
 discussions there.

 EXTINF", we have talk and you have sent twice patch about it. you can see
 the spec said "MUST be less than or equal to the target duration.",
 attention the MUST, MUST, MUST, we should don't care the tool, we should
 care the spec. If the tool different with the spec, that maybe apple's
 mistake, you should push apple.
 rounded to the nearest integer'''" in the spec. I am also only talking
 about the spec. This is just a pure argument, about interpreting that
 English line. This is where I feel some other people in the ffmpeg
 community should also pitch in moderate a discussion, rather than leaving
 it as "'''Maintainer is always right'''".
 me the mean '''MUST be less than or equal  to the target duration''' how
 should i understand it?
 than or equal to the target duration'''" is in one sentence. That should
 be read in conjunction with the phrase "when rounded to the nearest
 integer". It means after rounding duration to the nearest integer, it MUST
 be less than or equal to the target duration.
 the '''EXT-X-TARGETDURATION''' should equal to '''1''' ?
 https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pantos-http-live-streaming-03

 Playlist
 This tag

 description, maybe there have some misunderstanding words here.
 not supported. The segment durations were already integers. Hence there is
 no question of rounding, when target duration was being defined.
 supported in HLS, the definition for target duration was modified to
 specify "when rounded to nearest integer" to handle floating point segment
 durations.

 the nearest integer''' is description for '''The EXTINF duration of each
 Media Segment in the Playlist file,''', because the they in one sentence,
 and the next sentence said  '''longer segments can trigger playback stalls
 or other errors''', so, the reason to make there have no '''longer
 segments can trigger playback stalls or other errors''' error, not use
 lrint.

 to the nearest integer, MUST be less than or equal to the target duration

 is still part of the same sentence. This means longer after rounding to
 the nearest integer.

 > > > what will happen when just round the target duration ?i think the
 EXTINF will large than target duration
 > > round up it is no problem, but round down will have different result
 for users understand,This is why implement an api to process it for round
 up.
 > Well as long as it follows the spec, we need not worry. If the players
 were implemented as per the HLS spec then they should handle this case
 correctly.

 I will try to fix this problem

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6915#comment:22>