[FFmpeg-trac] #6776(undetermined:new): hls muxer does not include the first segment in m3u8 files when segmenting to fmp4

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Oct 25 00:58:45 EEST 2017

#6776: hls muxer does not include the first segment in m3u8 files when segmenting
to fmp4
             Reporter:  pickles      |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |               Blocked By:
Analyzed by developer:  0            |  Reproduced by developer:  0

Comment (by pickles):

 Replying to [comment:4 pickles]:
 > Replying to [comment:3 cehoyos]:
 > > A similar command line writes a file with a corrupt filename and
 corrupt content to the filesystem here, does this not happen to you?

 > Not on Debian Linux but it does on macOS although I find if I keep
 retrying the same command then eventually it works. I had assumed this was
 an incompatibility with the new macOS filesystem which changed in High
 Sierra because it always worked fine in Linux. I can, however, rename the
 corrupt filename to 'init.mp4' manually and then play the .m3u8 file via
 ffplay.

 Further testing on Debian Linux reveals the same problem. The reason I did
 not notice before is because I was providing an absolute path to
 -hls_fmp4_init_filename whereas in macOS I wasn't. Without an absolute
 path, the problem does indeed also occur in Linux. So this must be another
 (unrelated) bug.

 {{{
 ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc -hls_segment_filename '/tmp/%d.m4s'
 -hls_segment_type fmp4 -hls_fmp4_init_filename /tmp/init.mp4 -f hls -t 30
 /tmp/fmp4.m3u8
 }}}

 creates the files without filesystem corruption. Of course the main issue
 still remains, in that the m3u8 file does not include the first segment.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6776#comment:5>