[FFmpeg-trac] #6683(avcodec:open): Transport library initialization error in libfdk_aac when using aac_eld profile

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Sep 27 22:57:11 EEST 2017

#6683: Transport library initialization error in libfdk_aac when using aac_eld
profile
------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
             Reporter:  llogan      |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect      |                   Status:  open
             Blocking:              |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0           |
------------------------------------+-----------------------------------

Comment (by cehoyos):

 Replying to [comment:4 llogan]:
 > Replying to [comment:1 cehoyos]:
 > > I wonder what your original command line is supposed to do
 >
 > It's to display that there is a problem, but I think you know that and
 I'm going to guess that your comment is Cehoyosese for "your command is
 wrong".

 > Allow me to translate my reply: Am I correct in assuming that your
 comment is assuming that I am incorrect?

 No. (On the contrary, my comment meant that I - still - don't know what
 your original command line is meant to do or show.)
 I believe `-f null` is a very useful debug feature, including for both
 crashes and performance tests.
 Imo, it - generally - can not be used to show that encoding doesn't work
 though: It never produces any output which in this specific case is
 exactly the relevant difference: If I use the same options you used for
 `fdkaac` (which defaults to `-f ipod`) with `ffmpeg`, I get no error. The
 error you see with `-f null` can also be reproduced with `-f adts` which
 allows to be translated into an `fdkaac` command line which again shows
 the identical error - imo indicating the only thing we can fix is being
 more verbose.

 An additional issue is of course that since your command line made the
 implicit assumption that it ''always fails'' for the given profile (esp.
 because of the comparison with the fdk cli), it took me considerable more
 time to understand the issue.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6683#comment:5>