[FFmpeg-trac] #4209(avformat:open): GPS coordinates location and other iOS metadata in MOV are not copied to output MP4

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Fri Dec 14 10:30:28 EET 2018

#4209: GPS coordinates location and other iOS metadata in MOV are not copied to
output MP4
------------------------------------+------------------------------------
             Reporter:  elmimmo     |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect      |                   Status:  open
             Blocking:              |  Reproduced by developer:  1
Analyzed by developer:  0           |
------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Comment (by aviram):

 I just tested with ffmpeg version 4.0.3 with an iPhone X HEVC video.
 Command was simply:

 {{{ ffmpeg -i IMG_9988.MOV -movflags use_metadata_tags -c copy aaaa.mov
 }}}

 I can see the original metadata on target file (GPS, model etc) with
 ffprobe:
 {{{
     com.apple.quicktime.creationdate: 2018-11-28T17:47:53-0200
     com.apple.quicktime.location.ISO6709: -23.5424-046.6576/
     com.apple.quicktime.make: Apple
     com.apple.quicktime.model: iPhone X
     com.apple.quicktime.software: 12.1
 }}}

 But Apple stack doesn't show metadata on target file. Here is a screenshot
 showing on left the source and target on right:

 [[Image(https://avi.alkalay.net/clipboard/ffmpeg-bug-4209.png)]]

 I can provide sample video files if needed.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4209#comment:21>