[FFmpeg-trac] #6975(undetermined:new): Recent change to sync video output to screen refresh conflicts with -noframedrop

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Mon Jan 22 10:29:15 EET 2018

#6975: Recent change to sync video output to screen refresh conflicts with
-noframedrop
             Reporter:  Misaki       |                     Type:  defect
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
 ffplay was recently changed so that it won't display frames faster than
 the screen refresh rate. With -noframedrop, this means that ffplay can't
 catch up if it needs to display frames faster than the refresh rate, which
 is often 60 fps or maybe slightly under like 59.8.

 This can quickly be tested by creating a high-fps video, then playing it
 back:
 {{{
 $ ffmpeg -filter_complex color=black:r=120 -t 10 black.mp4
 $ ffplay -noframedrop black.mp4
 }}}

 This will show video falling behind as shown with M-V, if your refresh
 rate is less than 120.

 I don't know if this is an enhancement request or a bug report; I just
 want an option to make it work like it did in the past, so I can play 60
 fps video without dropping frames when complexity spikes.

 Even if someone can't or won't fix this bug, it would be nice to confirm
 it. I've tested with compiz, metacity and GNOME/Ubuntu, so I don't think
 it's due to a non-ffmpeg setting, but I can't be sure.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6975>