[FFmpeg-trac] #7650(avcodec:new): FFmpeg MPEG-2 encode fails to "invalid RC mode" when iHD driver is used through VA-API instead of QSV

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Tue Feb 26 01:53:38 EET 2019

#7650: FFmpeg MPEG-2 encode fails to "invalid RC mode" when iHD driver is used
through VA-API instead of QSV
-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
             Reporter:  eero-t       |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0            |
-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------

Comment (by jkqxz):

 1e0fac76639e31eea48aa315cbca89aeb4761fde

 Replying to [comment:6 eero-t]:
 > Still get the same warnings, but I guess they can be ignored:
 > {{{
 > [mpeg2_vaapi @ 0x56458668d9c0] Driver does not support some wanted
 packed headers (wanted 0x3, found 0x10).
 > }}}

 This seems to be an iHD driver issue - it doesn't support the required
 sequence and picture headers, so we can't fill the extradata in a
 consistent way.  In my testing the i965 driver does the right thing here
 on the same hardware, so it will only be a software problem.

 > {{{
 > [mpeg2_vaapi @ 0x56458668d9c0] Sample aspect ratio 10:11 is not
 representable, signalling square pixels instead.
 > }}}

 That's a limitation of MPEG-2 - it only supports a specific set of aspect
 ratios (see H.262 table 6-3).  If the ratio of your input stream isn't on
 the list then it falls back to declaring that the stream has square pixels
 (and gives you the warning to say it has done that).

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7650#comment:8>