[FFmpeg-trac] #8761(avcodec:new): DNxHD encoder does not accept 80, 90, 100, 110M bitrates, although the error message indicates it should

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Sun Jun 28 23:47:03 EEST 2020

#8761: DNxHD encoder does not accept 80, 90, 100, 110M bitrates, although the
error message indicates it should
---------------------------------+----------------------------------
             Reporter:  dvision  |                     Type:  defect
             Blocking:           |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0        |
---------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Summary of the bug:
 I can encode 1440x1080 subsampled interlaced dnxhd encoded in MXF
 container at 120M bitrate, but not at 80M, 90M, 100M or 110M, using the
 bellow command line.
 According to the error message displayed by the ffmpeg binary these
 bitrates should be ok, but they are not accepted in fact.

 {{{
 [dnxhd @ 0000015bb4b93e40] Frame size: 1440x1080i; bitrate: 80Mbps; pixel
 format: yuv422p
 [dnxhd @ 0000015bb4b93e40] Frame size: 1440x1080i; bitrate: 90Mbps; pixel
 format: yuv422p
 [dnxhd @ 0000015bb4b93e40] Frame size: 1440x1080i; bitrate: 100Mbps; pixel
 format: yuv422p
 [dnxhd @ 0000015bb4b93e40] Frame size: 1440x1080i; bitrate: 110Mbps; pixel
 format: yuv422p
 [dnxhd @ 0000015bb4b75840] ff_frame_thread_encoder_init failed
 Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for
 output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate,
 width or height
 }}}

 I also tried with the latest release of ffmpeg and with the latest nightly
 build, both compiled on linux, obtaining the same unwanted result.

 How to reproduce:
 {{{
 % ffmpeg -i prores.mov -s 1440x1080 -r 25 -flags +ilme+ildct -c:v dnxhd
 -b:v 80M -pix_fmt yuv422p -an -f mxf_opatom output.mxf
 ffmpeg version 4.2.1
 built on windows 10
 }}}

--