[FFmpeg-trac] #9553(avcodec:new): raw h265 file only contains 4 user data SEI even though 6 frames were encoded

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Tue Dec 14 00:06:19 EET 2021

#9553: raw h265 file only contains 4 user data SEI even though 6 frames were
encoded
----------------------------------+---------------------------------------
             Reporter:  david333  |                     Type:  defect
             Blocking:            |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0         |
----------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 I am using ffmpeg version 3.4.1 as a shared library in my project. OS
 version is bionic.

 What I am trying to do is encode a raw hevc file with a user data SEI
 message in each frame. I am encoding the file using the ffmpeg API instead
 of the command line interface. The issue I am facing is when I encode 6
 black frames only 4 out of the 6 encoded video frames contain user data
 SEI messages. It appears that the last two frames in the file are always
 the two frames without user data SEI. I tried doing the same thing using
 h264 and I had no issues, I got 6 encoded frames all containing user data
 SEI.

 Also to note, I get two ffmpeg error messages saying "missing picture in
 access unit". Even if I just encode 6 black video frames without user data
 SEI, I still get this error message. Do you know why I might be getting
 this error message and what exactly it’s indicating?

 I am using this command "ffmpeg -i mediaFile.hevc -c copy -bsf:v
 trace_headers -f null - 2>tmp_1.txt" to decode and verify all the above
 information.

 Was this ever a known bug? If not, are there any suggestions I could try?
 Please let me know if I can provide any other additional information.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/9553>