[FFmpeg-trac] #9466(documentation:new): FFmpeg documentation saying libx265 is GPLv2 or later, libx265 is GPLv2 only?

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Fri Oct 22 14:18:51 EEST 2021

#9466: FFmpeg documentation saying libx265 is GPLv2 or later, libx265 is GPLv2
only?
             Reporter:  Josef        |                    Owner:  (none)
  Andersson                          |
                 Type:  license      |                   Status:  new
  violation                          |                Component:
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Comment (by apsillers):

 Or is it more correct to summarize your position as: yes, FFmpeg does need
 to be upgraded to GPLv2 to use libx265, but the particular scenario
 detailed in the ticket, wherein FFmpeg's status as GPLv2 interacts with a
 GPLv3 plugin, is not a problem. Other problematic scenarios may arise
 from the mistaken idea that libx265 has a GPLv3 option (e.g., suppose I
 wanted to add GPLv3 code directly into an FFmpeg fork, then my use of
 GPLv2-only x265 option would indeed cause a conflict). Is my first or
 second reading of your position more correct?
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/9466#comment:5>