[FFmpeg-trac] #9598(ffprobe:new): Wrong Chroma Location (Type 2, top left) for XDCAM Files (Type 0, left) in FFProbe

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Mon Jan 17 20:33:08 EET 2022

#9598: Wrong Chroma Location (Type 2, top left) for XDCAM Files (Type 0, left) in
FFProbe
             Reporter:  FranceBB     |                    Owner:  (none)
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Comment (by FranceBB):

 I see!
 So, in a nutshell, 4:2:2 doesn't have a chroma location, it's literally
 always the same. x262, x264, x265 don't encode any value for the chroma
 location and what ffprobe does (as well as the Avisynth Indexers) is
 reporting left for H.264 encoded streams and top left for MPEG-2 encoded
 streams, but even though the name is different, they're actually exactly
 the same.

 In other words, in "Avisynth terms", it's always "left", so I think we
 have two choices:

 1) We change this behavior in indexers so that they're gonna report
 "unknown" (or "left" eventually) every time we get a 4:2:2 stream

 2) We make the internal resizers handle 4:2:2 anyway assuming the old
 MPEG-2 chroma location every time, no matter what the indexer says instead
 of throwing an error

 Thank you for pointing this out, Hendrik.
 I'm gonna go back to Doom9 in Avisynth-land, I'll let you FFMpeg guys the
 decision on what to do about this (like standardizing the naming
 convention for all 4:2:2 streams to avoid confusing people like it
 happened for me and other Avisynth developers or leave it as it is).

 Cheers,
 Frank
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/9598#comment:7>