[FFmpeg-user] (x)WMA / WMA Pro 10 support

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Apr 5 10:28:42 CEST 2011

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if ffmpeg / libavcodec supports decoding both WMA Pro 10 ? On <http://ffmpeg.org/general.html#SEC7>, it lists decoding of "Windows Media Audio Pro". But it doesn't specify if that means both WMA Pro 9 and 10, or just 9. According to some sources (see e.g. here on Wikipedia: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio#Windows_Media_Audio_Professional>), version 10 files can be decoded by a v9 decoder, but only at reduced quality.

I actually tried finding out by looking at the source code (specifically, at wmaprodec.c), but couldn't figure this out there myself. Thus I'd really appreciate a clarification. Maybe this could then also be clarified on the mentioned page.

Thanks & Cheers,
Max