[FFmpeg-user] Saving Video Frames as Images

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 14 17:52:37 CEST 2011

Am 14.04.11 17:35, schrieb Christopher Haccius:
> On 04/14/2011 01:40 PM, Christopher Haccius wrote:
>> I am trying to convert a the frames of a video into an image sequence. I used
>> to accomplish this task by the following line:
>>
>> ffmpeg -i input.mpg -y -f image2 out/output%04d.png
>>
>> Yesterday ...
>>
>> --------------------------Old (working) output-------------------------
>> ffmpeg -i input.mpg -y -f image2 out/output%04d.png
>> FFmpeg version 0.6-4:0.6-2ubuntu6.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg
>> developers
>>

>> --------------New (not working) output---------------------------------------
>> ./ffmpeg -i input.mpg -y -f image2 out/output%04d.png

This line works perfectly fine for me with todays git code.

>> FFmpeg version UNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
>>   built on Apr 13 2011 18:45:22 with gcc 4.4.5
>>   configuration:
>
> The problem seems to be that I am building ffmpeg without all the configuration
> options needed to do what I want to get done. Could anyone direct me to a manual
> or tell me how to set the build-options such that the configurations of my own
> build are comparable to a Synaptic-build?

You should check the output of your configure call. "png" should be listed at
enabled encoders.
If it is not, you should be able to output your frames into using another image
codec/format. Or install a proper png-library and configure and build ffmpeg again.

-Thilo