[FFmpeg-user] .flv conversion to .avi

Jim Worrall coniophora at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 00:22:06 CEST 2011

Thanks, it sounds like there is no reason to think it should work, as indeed it didn't.

So my question remains, can someone "recommend an efficient method [that is, one that doesn't increase the file size an order of magnitude, while maintaining quality] of transcoding files like this [./flv with H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and AAC - MPEG-4 audio], that would play with codecs available on a basic Windows install.

On Apr 23, 2011, at 3:00 PM, Andrew Berg wrote:

On 2011.04.23 02:24 PM, Jim Worrall wrote:
> Then I realized I could keep the video intact with "-vcodec copy" and still make an avi.
AVC in AVI is a hack at best. Either WMP supports AVC out-of-the-box or
it doesn't. The container the video stream is in is irrelevant. If WMP
supports AVC, but not MP4 or Matroska, MPEG-TS is an appropriate
container. If it doesn't support AVC, -vcodec copy will give you
unusable output 100% of the time.