[FFmpeg-user] merging or joining videos

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it
Tue Aug 2 14:51:07 CEST 2011

On date Tuesday 2011-08-02 13:23:38 +0800, Rick C. encoded:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if someone can point me in right direction about how I
> should join together multiple videos?  So if I have video1.avi &
> video2.avi how do I turn them into joinedvideo.avi?  It doesn't
> matter to me if I join them after converting or during converting
> (I'm assuming I have to do it during?).  I'm familiar with cat but I
> believe this only works on .mpg and I would like a way to work on
> many files such as .avi or .mp4.  I've also read the instructions in
> the documentation but I was thinking there's a more updated way than
> having to convert everything to .mpg first?  Anyways, if someone
> could point me in the right direction that would be great.  Thanks!

In general the response is "there is no generic way", the best that
you can achieve right now is to convert to a cattable format (mpeg,
rawvideo) and physically cat or use the concat protocol.

Logical join is not yet possible, although there is a gsoc task
concerning this (can't say about the status of the task itself).
--
ffmpeg-user random tip #5
FFmpeg documentation: