[FFmpeg-user] merging or joining videos

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Wed Aug 3 10:51:53 CEST 2011

Rick C. wrote:
> I'm familiar with cat but I believe this only works on .mpg and I would like a way to work on many files such as .avi or .mp4.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it also depends on which codec you're
using (.avi is just the container).

>  I've also read the instructions in the documentation but I was thinking there's a more updated way than having to convert everything to .mpg first?  Anyways, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

I've also had the same problem: All documentation I found mentioned
MPEGs and "cat" or yuv2mpeg for piping things together :( This doesn't
work at all for AVI files.

I found a solution that even works bitproof for audio and video, by
using "mencoder" to merge the videos back together. We're using this
method daily in the Austrian national video archive (=Österreichische
Mediathek [1][2]) - but only with intraframe codecs (FFv1 / DV) and PCM
for audio. Additionally, it's also possible to merge *and* transcode the
files in one step! :)
Details can be found in a forum post on "das-werkstatt.com" [3].

Additionally, there's an article on "linuxreview.org" about merging
video files [4] - but I must say that I haven't had a good experience
with "avimerge".

Good luck!
Peter B.