[FFmpeg-user] Can I use FFmpeg.exe command line in my proprietary software

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 10:03:08 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 21:22, Phil Rhodes <phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> If I build an embedded device with ffmpeg in it and rent or sell that device
> to someone, how do I comply?

This is stupid. AOL along with thousands of others have sold  devices
with GPL code embedded. The first one I bought was the "Gateway
Connected Touch Pad" (GCTP) a device which ran Midori Linux and AOL´s
proprietary client for Linux on top.

Guess what? AOL made the full source code available, both the original
Linux source code along with the modifications AOL had to do to make
it run on the device

http://web.archive.org/web/20040414212406/http://opensource.aol.com/

"This is the host site for Open Source software used in the Instant
AOL device. Below are links to the extended version of Transmeta
Corporation's MidoriTM Linux distribution. These images contain
MidoriTM and the Instant AOL modifications to MidoriTM.

A variety of Open Source licenses are used within MidoriTM(depending
on the area), the most common one is the GNU General Public License.
For full license details, see source code headers in individual Linux
packages."

So, to answer your question, that is how you´re supposed to comply.

Another example is Linksys, whose Wi-Fi routers run Linux. And here is
how they comply.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/gplcodecenter

But then you ask:

"If I build an embedded device with ffmpeg in it and rent or sell that
device to someone, how do I comply? Who, at what postal address, is
the legal representative of the ffmpeg project authorised to act on
its behalf in terms of license negotiations?"

There is nothing to negotiate. You comply like Cisco or AOL did, by
stating somewhere on the documentation and/or web site that the device
includes GPL-licensed software,and make an offer to provide the source
code to interested parties so if they want to fix a bug without your
assistance on the GPL code, or re-use your GPL binary on a similar
device, they can.

If you do ship a device with GPL software but fail to provide the
source, you will find that some hackers will eventually realize about
this and you and your company listed on the GPL-violations site, with
possible legal hassle.

I respectfully suggest you take further GPL-related queries to the
GPL-legal mailing list