[FFmpeg-user] Scene detection

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue Aug 9 13:31:50 CEST 2011

Quoting Stefano Sabatini <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it>:
> On the technical side: this has been already discussed on
> ffmpeg-devel, an underkill solution may be as simple as tweaking the
> select filter and adopt a simple pixel-per-pixel average difference as
> metric.
>
> For images with moving objects that's not a proper solution, and you
> need motion estimation code, which is already integrated in
> libavcodec, so the ideal solution would be to refactor the ME code in
> libavcodec and move it to libavutil. By doing this you may also
> improve the code itself, and thus improve the codecs using it at the
> same time.

For ideas/details about how to implement a scene-cut detection, I
would suggest looking at the code of shotdetect (Johan Mathe is really
nice, and the license is LGPL by the way).
His approach is actually really simple and straightforward, and we've
now been using it in our long-term archive solution for quite a while
and could provide information based on hands-on experience about what
to expect from that straight-forwards algorithm.

I'm mentioning this, because I think Johan's algorithm is merely a
variation of a "pixel-per-pixel average difference" and it works
surprisingly well - on really different kinds of content.

Pb