[FFmpeg-user] optimal slide encoding for low bandwidth at youtube

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 03:21:18 CEST 2011

On 2011-08-15 6:40 PM, Robert Rowntree wrote:
> i want to combine 1 slide ( vid ) and a 3gpp ( audio ) in output that is
> suitable for youtube upload. i have a CLI expression working for ffmpeg ,
> but its video bandwidth is too high considering that i am muxing just a
> single jpeg.

You may be interested in some experiments I did when I was trying to make a
video slideshow with FFmpeg. I was offended by the obvious wasted data when
using other methods. I understand this is somewhat different from your issue,
because you only have one slide.

I posted my experiences here:
<http://sites.google.com/site/andycivil/making-a-video-slideshow-with-ffmpeg>

Basically, I use MPEG-2 as an intermediate format; it's not efficient, but it
has the outstanding advantage that I can concatenate the video slides in a
command window, and then convert and add a soundtrack afterwards.

I also recently discovered that I can convert to H.264 and it stays pretty
efficient, although the file is larger.

I find that if I upload the video to youtube, it is accepted, but when I
download it again it's a bit bigger. I think the issue is that they have
standards for rewinding resolution, so their GOP is lower than I actually had in
my file; therefore, they probably duplicated the i-frame, perhaps once per
second or something.

--
Andy