[FFmpeg-user] subtitles again please

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it
Wed Aug 24 20:00:36 CEST 2011

On date Wednesday 2011-08-24 10:34:11 +0800, Rick C. encoded:
> Hi again,
>
> I have asked in the past about hard-coding subtitles, but if I just
> want to add a subtitle track as a stream would someone mind giving
> me a working example?  I'm aware of the documentation which says
> this:
>
> ffmpeg -i file.mov -an -vn -sbsf mov2textsub -scodec copy -f rawvideo sub.txt
>
> And in FFmpeg -formats it says it supports decoding/encoding of .srt
> files.  So how would I take a file without a subtitle stream and add
> a new one?  Something like:
>
> ffmpeg -i mov.avi -i sub.srt output.avi
>
> Sorry to ask again but I'm assuming since it's there in the
> documentation it works but I really can't figure it out.  Thanks!

Not very experienced about subtitles and all, AFAIK subtitles support
in FFmpeg is still a bit... rudimentary.

But if you want subtitles in output you need a format which supports
them, I know matroska (.mkv) should do.

As for hardcoding subtitles right onto the video, I'm afraid we still
miss that facility (subtitles filtering + video overlaying seems the
right solution), correct if I'm wrong.
--
ffmpeg-user random tip #20
VHOOK has been removed, check out libavfilter: