[FFmpeg-user] Bits per pixel encoding

James Lu luj125 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:22:53 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Stephen Wilson <
stephen.martin.wilson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to use FFMpeg to encode a video at a different bits per
> pixel
> level than the original?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen

Hi Stephen,

The only information I have is regarding colorspace conversion such as from
YUV444 to YUV420p, this would reduce bits per pixel by reducing chroma
subsampling. This is possible through -vf format=yuv420p
I believe yuv420p is 1.5 bytes per pixel

If you're talking about going from truecolor color to other palettes such as
256-color, I don't see anything about that initially in libavfilter, but
would suggest looking for something like that in frei0r filters?

Either way these options will only work with a codec that supports different
colorspaces and color palettes, which, I'm not sure exactly which ones do.

Hope this helps,
~James