[FFmpeg-user] man page vs. online documentation

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 02:38:05 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 05:26:56PM -0700, Jim Worrall wrote:
>  I recently compiled and installed the latest ffmpeg, and compared the man
> page that came with it to the current ffmpeg documentation online at
> http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html .  It seems like basically the same document,
> but there are many significant differences.

The online documentation is based on the upstream (each time the
documentation gets updated in the repository, the online one is
re-generated).

What are you calling latest FFmpeg? Source snapshot or latest stable
(0.8.7 ATM)?

> Which one is likely to better reflect the instructions for the actual
> one I install, the man page that accompanies it, or the online
> documentation at the time I downloaded it?

It depends; typo fix, wording improvements, or anything such as new
examples for old features are likely to apply as well on your version (and
ideally they are backported so you don't actually need to look in the
online one).  OTOH, new features only available in the "dev" version won't
apply to the one you just downloaded.

Maybe you should be more specific about the differences you noticed?

--
Clément B.