[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg issues with MP4?

Erik Lat erik.lat at htbindustries.org
Mon Dec 5 23:13:11 CET 2011

   Hey guys, I have been running a little encoder service on an xinetd
port for some time now. Basically it reads data in and filters through a
WAV->MP3 conversion and outputs the data as an MP3. It has been working
fine for many different formats (VBR mp3, ogg, wav, etc) but it seems to
be choking on MP4 audio.

   I have tried running the file through the processes manually on the
command line which works fine, but I was curious if you guys might know
why it doesn't work in my xinetd server. From the service file you will
see that I'm logging FFmpeg's stderr to a file. There's a message about
estimating duration from bitrate, but this message pops up for WAV, OGG,
and MP3 files as well without issue.

   Here's an example of what I'm doing:

user at host$ file file.ogg
file.ogg: Ogg data, Vorbis audio, stereo, 44100 Hz, ~128000 bps,
created by: Xiph.Org libVorbis I
user at host$ cat file.ogg | nc localhost 9615 > a.mp3
user at host$ file file.mp3
file.mp3: Audio file with ID3 version 2.4.0, contains: MPEG ADTS, layer
III, v1, 128 kbps, 44.1 kHz, JntStereo
user at host$ file file.mp4
file.mp4: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 2
user at host$ cat file.mp4 | nc localhost 9615 > a.mp3
** hangs indefinitely **
user at host$ cat 16B_-_Inbetween_Your_Choice.m4a |
/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg.sh > a.mp3
** this WORKS **

Attached are the files I'm working with. NOTE: to test you may need to
setup an entry for the 'ffmpeg' service in your /etc/services file.

ffmpeg:     xinetd service file
ffmpeg.sh:  xinetd script file

I am using FFmpeg version 0.6.3-rpmfusion, on Fedora 14, but have also
tried with FFmpeg version 0.7.8 on Gentoo with the same result.

--

Erik Lat
Systems Engineer