[FFmpeg-user] compress security video

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Dec 11 00:43:19 CET 2011

Peter B. <pb <at> das-werkstatt.com> writes:

> Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Did you try ffv1 (possibly with -coder 1)?
> >
> Although I'm a big fan of FFv1, are you sure that he's interested in
> losslessly encoding it?

I somehow assumed he does, but re-reading his message I was probably wrong...

Otoh, for more information about lossy compression, his input simply wasn't
sufficient, after all, I could use -qscale 32 to compress all my videos;-)

> (In our long-term tests, we've seen that a 1 minute FFv1-AVI (with PCM
> 16bit stereo audio) has about 350MB)
>
> Wouldn't a lossy codec, such as XviD or h264

I would still love to see evidence that Xvid is better than FFmpeg's native ASP
encoder (which is slightly more difficult to tune).

Carl Eugen