[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg issue

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Sun Dec 11 01:24:38 CET 2011

Followup:

On 12/10/2011 06:25 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> Some distributions, like Ubuntu, allow this after you take responsibility for your local laws.  My children have done this with their laptops, which came with Windows and pre-package DVD playback software.  So they own a paid license, and can turn on the restricted repository in good faith.  With the restricted software repository, and VLC, DVDs play just fine.  No compiling required.  Ubuntu has worked this way for a few years now.  In the latest versions, the restricted repository is just a checkbox in the application manager.

My non-programmer children can obviously figure things out beyond my suggestion to "turn on restricted software".  I just checked this on my wife's new laptop, on which I put Kubuntu 11.10.  In addition to enabling restricted software, and installing VLC, I had to run two konsole commands, from the libdvdcss section of:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

Phil