[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg issue

Rodney Baker rodney.baker at iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 11 22:40:45 CET 2011

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 03:10:28 Phil Rhodes wrote:
> > Rubbish. I did it and I am not a programmer nor an IT professional. It
> > is not difficult at all.
>
> Were you using the same distribution as the people who write ffmpeg?
>
> What do most of them use?

No. I use openSuSE. I have no idea what the developers use but it doesn't
matter.

Creating a development environment for cross compiling (e.g. compiling windows
binaries on linux) is slightly more difficult, and I've not attempted that,
but most distro package managers make it extremely simple. You simply have to
install the right packages. The distro's that I've used all have "meta-
packages" that automatically install all necessary bits and pieces.

Once you have that, most projects are very simple to build from source. Yes,
resolving dependencies has to be done manually, but there are two ways of
doing that. Either a) install the required libraries and headers using your
distro's package manager (the easy way) or download and build each of the
dependencies separately before building your main project (if you want to make
sure you have the latest bleeding-edge version of everything).

The first time it takes a little bit of time and patience, but once it's done
updating is a matter of simply updating the source (each project has
instructions on how to do this - there is usually one command that has to be
run to do it automatically), then rebuilding using the updated source. Again,
most projects have documentation included on exactly how to do this.

It certainly is not rocket science.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker at iinet.net.au