[FFmpeg-user] Timecode in DV muxer

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 16:16:36 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 02:52:04PM +0000, Tim Nicholson wrote:
> On 15/12/11 12:39, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 12:27:01PM +0000, Tim Nicholson wrote:
> >>I have been trying to add timecode to.dv files as the feature was
> >>introduced back in July, with ffprobe reporting introduced last
> >>month.
> >>
> >>However I cannot seen to get the timecode added to the .dv files, or
> >>at least its not reported by ffprobe.
> >>

> >The DV demuxer doesn't export a metadata for the timecode yet, like does
> >the GXF one for instance. You might want to open a feature request on the
> >trac for this.
>
> OK, thanks Clément. I thought you would have the answer...
>
> Looking at the patch to fffprobe, it looks like it should always
> output "timcecode xxxxx" where xxxx is N/A when its not available.
> Or does it only do this for muxers it is aware support timecode? (I
> tried with mpeg but saw nothing).

Ah the ffprobe timecode print is for codec timecode, and ATM it is only
raised with mpeg (extracted from the GOP); it appears with ``ffprobe
-show_streams''.

ATM only the GXF container raise the timecode through the metadata, and
you can see them in the metadata with ``ffprobe -show_format''
(TAG:gxf_timecode=...).  I wonder if that could not be renamed to
"timecode" btw, so it will be common with the other containers.

So yes, FFmpeg is lacking some timecode raising in various format; MXF or
DV for instance... Maybe in a not-that-near future it will be available.
Opening a feature request might speed up things.

--
Clément B.