[FFmpeg-user] Nvidia GPU [was (no subject)]

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Thu Dec 15 19:42:34 CET 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:02:56 +0100 (CET)
ablage-p at arcor.de wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> what would I have to do, if wanted ffmpeg to run on my Ubuntu-Linux
> supporting the NVIDIA GPU? Which compiler-options do i have to use?
>
> cu
> Alex

Depends on your Ubuntu version. "ffmpeg" from recent Ubuntu (I didn't
check which versions other than 11.10) include --enable-vdpau (and
--enable-vaapi). However:

* Ubuntu now uses "ffmpeg" from the libav/"qatar" fork, not FFmpeg.

* If you compile from FFmpeg, then --enable-vdpau and --enable-vaapi
  are autodetected so you don't need to add those to your configure.
  Required dependencies are: libva-dev libvdpau-dev. For step-by-step
  FFmpeg compile instructions:

* The D in VDPAU stands for Decode, so it don't help the actual
  encoding, and it doesn't use the GPU, but an onboard acceleration
  chip, IIRC.

This is a subject which I am somewhat unfamiliar, so others may want to
add more accurate information or correct me.