[FFmpeg-user] New x264 presets

Anderw Gora master at io.ua
Sat Dec 17 17:35:48 CET 2011

Hi,

My questions is about a canonical way of using libx264 presets
for 2-pass encoding in the new ffmpeg 0.8.7 enviroment. There is no
such problems with ffmpeg 0.5.

1. Is it enougph to put preset without changing in both passes:
ffmpeg ... -pass 1 -vcodec libx264 -preset slow ...
ffmpeg ... -pass 2 -vcodec libx264 -preset slow ...

With the above settings encoding time differs just twice sometime but
differs. Seems, this is to much efforts for the first pass...

Some sources tell about, for example, "-preset slow_firstpass" for the
first pass with slow preset, but in matter of fact it not working.

2. Is it worth to change presents between passes like:
ffmpeg ... -pass 1 -vcodec libx264 -preset superfast ...
ffmpeg ... -pass 2 -vcodec libx264 -preset slower ...

3. Is it interesting for honorable community if I share my stats of
encoding time and quality with different presets somewhere?

---------
Just info of available presets: ultrafast, superfast, veryfast,
faster, fast, medium, slow, slower, veryslow, placebo
---------

Thank You in advance,
Andrew