[FFmpeg-user] Frame/gop accurate video splitting (fps, gop, length known)

Innertia dedoogong at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 03:46:28 CET 2011

Hi ^^ I'm also seeking the way to split video accurately enough as possible.
um, I think -ss and -t is not enough to do it.
let's assume that if I have a 10:00 length video file, and I want to split
it into two parts, one is of length of 5:00, and the other is of also 5:00;
but if there're keyframes located at 4:55 and 5:05, ffmpeg must be trying to
seek keyframe to split. I want to say that first part will be accurately
5:00, and second one will be 5:05 becuase of the fact that delta frames near
the end border have their key frame, so there's no problem.
but when second one trying to start at 5:00, it will recognize that there's
no key frame to refer to start and make perfect frame, so it will ignore the
-ss 00:05:00 option;

I believe there's no way yet to avoid the duplication when splitting...only
we can fix and customize the ffmpeg source;; and that's what I'm doing
recently(that's too difficult to do...it's out of my ability (T.T)~~I just
hope any brilliant developers help us~!)