[FFmpeg-user] getting some xml-ish dump while ffprobing a media file's metadata?

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 12:29:01 CET 2011

On date Wednesday 2011-12-28 01:50:17 +0000, Albretch Mueller encoded:
>  thanks a lot Stefano et al,
>
> >>  2) What do you do when errors must be reported? say:
>
> > errors will make ffprobe complain and exit, without spitting any output.
>
>  I assume you mean ffprobe complains to the standard error stream, right?

Yes.

>  Also, and I am just asking for clarifications ;-), errors are not
> (will not be?) reported in any particular format, just as they show up

Yes, this is what is done right now. Showing an error at the
application level may be interesting, at this level we have the error
code and we can get a corresponding string from that.
Using the exit() value is not feasible since FFmpeg error codes are
not in the 0-255 integer range, reporting the error code/string is an
interesting idea (but keep in mind that sometimes FFmpeg error codes
are bogus).

--
ffmpeg-user random tip #3
Some few multimedia formats (mpeg-1, mpeg-2:PS, DV) support physical merge