[FFmpeg-user] Library Specific Options

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sun Jul 3 18:23:27 CEST 2011

Le quintidi 15 messidor, an CCXIX, Kyle a écrit :
> I think it would be helpful to be able to pass any option directly
> to the encoding library, allowing for all functions of that library
> to be taken advantage of.
>
> If it is already implemented in FFmpeg for x264 perhaps it wouldn't
> be very difficult to allow commands to be passed to any library?

That is not simple as that: libraries have a tendency to use very varied
ways of taking options: some will parse a single string, some will take a
set of key-value strings pairs, some will use preprocessor constants and
typed values, some will use field in a structure, etc.

Therefore, it is not possible to just write a few lines of code to get it
working for all libraries at once.

Furthermore, if the library does not use strings (but rather constants or
fields), new options must be added in the wrapper when the library gets
them.

That does not mean it is not possible, that means it requires work. Patch
welcome.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George