[FFmpeg-user] Use of "-color_range"

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Mon Jul 4 19:13:10 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Tim Nicholson <tim.nicholson at bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> I am struggling to find any documentation on the use of this and searching
> the source was not very revealing, to my eye at least.
>
> Apart from the fact that it expects an <int> I am none the wiser.
>
> I since it is a DEV function I was hoping I could use it to force ffmpeg to
> handle source material of a non standard range.

Regarding this and x264 encoding: I had some full range 4:2:2 material
I was trying to encode with x264 a while back and found that if I
forced the "yuvj420p" pix format, FFmpeg would pass full range values
to x264. This was using x264 in pipe mode, but I don't see why it
wouldn't work with libx264. I would get very different results when
changing yuv420p to yuvj420p.